I ran into this on a recent machine. A perfect example of what can happen with old oil in a machine that has sat for years. This is where the upper tension release linkage goes on a Singer 221. The upper tension would not release when you lifted the presser foot.
It was "glued" to the mounting surface.
That mess cleaned right up with some lacquer thinner.
There is so much information out there on the net that I don't think I have any thing to add. A recent customer shared this with me. It is taken from the first page of an early 1900's, owners manual from the National Sewing Machine Company. It is PRICELESS advice no matter what era you are living in.
The "Standard'' Rotary two-in-one machine, with which this Instruction Book goes is the most perfect machine that was ever made, and most complete in its accessories and attachments. It should be thoroughly understood by the operator in order to get from it all the advantages that it is capable of conferring, to know what it will do, and how it will do it, you must carefully study the instructions contained in this book from beginning to end.
By so doing you will find constant delight and surprise at the variety of work that can be accomplished, and at the simplicity and perfection of the appliances that produce such wonderful results. This machine is like a mine which is full of richness for those who dig for it, but which is only a mountain of rock for those who carelessly walk over its surface. For those who treat it as they have been used to treating sewing machines of older types, it will be only a machine like thousands of others, doing plain sewing; but to those who study this book, and follow its teachings, the machine is a mine of delightful surprises. We will not follow this phase of the subject further than to say, study the instructions, not only for the management of the machine in ordinary lock stitch sewing, and in chain stitch sewing, but learn the use of the attachments, hemming, binding, felling, tucking, ruffling etc., until each part becomes a friend to do your bidding.
On December 10, 2012, I started a new job at Purdue University, working in the Operations and Maintenance division for the telecommunications division. This is a full time job but I was hired on a temporary basis for 1-year. I was lucky enough to have full benefits like a regular, permanent employee. I spent nearly the entire year installing wireless internet throughout the campus. Everything from academic buildings, dormitories and sports stadium venues, it has been quite an experience. Through the whole year, I continued to repair sewing machines. I had no guarantee I would be employed past my 1 year contract. I had no extra time for posting to this BLOG over the past year.
So here we are on December 11, 2013 and I have been hired on full time and moved to the Electronics shop. I will continue to work on sewing machines but will have limited time to post.
I have always tried to answer any questions that come up concerning posts from the past via e-mail.